Hello there! It’s been a long time! I am BUSY. Everyone is busy. We all have the same 24 hours in the day so how do we make the most of it?!
Check out my new site http://www.thebeautysharkginger.com where you can find my latest beauty pick for our busy life style!
Go now and let me know what you think :-).
Special Bonus- If you want to start your own beauty business without having the basic know-how….here’s what to do. Go to http://www.gracekingdombeauty.com , look under the Special Bonus tab, purchase the 26 page basic guide via the link, leave a good review, and you get a FREE session with Ginger!
As silicone valley is the technology hub. Asia is the beauty hub. I just came back from several major trade shows in Asia and pleased to inform what’s happening in the world of BEAUTY:
- Freeze-Dry technology! The latest trend is to freeze dry your lotion or cream into balls for ease of travelling. When you use, just add water! Cool, right?
- Peel-Off technology! Peel off brow tint, peel off lip tint, peel off mask.Anything peel-off is IN. Why? Peel off products in color have staining power and in skin, you can expect extra clarification benefits.
- Fermented technology! This is a Korean driven trend which the belief is when ingredients are fermented, they work better for penetration.
- Water technology! People no longer just want to use water for cosmetics. They want coconut water, bamboo water, apple water, and quartz water! These provides additional nutrient boost for your regular skin essence.
- Foams. Foams. More Foams! Sensory is a big key in modern cosmetics. Cleansers with dense stable foam are seen every where in Japan. The product by Kao-Elvira Beauty whip soap is such an art foam as you dispense the product- you pump out the shape of rose!
- Skin Whitening! Most of the skin brightening products take time to see results.There are products using titanium dioxide, the white pigments to give the instant skin whitening effect. The most advanced ones actually use encapsulated titanium dioxide and sparsely spreading in the cream to achieve a natural insta-bright look.
- Double Eyelid Glue! Asians have been longing for the super big-eyed look. When you have double-folds on the lid, your eyes just look bigger and more alert. The first eyelid glue I personally have used and loved was from Kiss Me. However, there are eyelid glue mask now you can sleep with it and wake up with double eyelids!
- Hand-held LED lights! DIY spa-inspired treatment for firmer and more lifted skin. As a cosmetic chemist, I usually do not like to rely on devices as it takes the fun out of product development. But since the size of this device is as small as a palm- I bought one and have been religiously using it since Feb 01! I will keep you posted on progress.
- Compressed Mask! Yes, masks are still hot. There are now compressed mask which you can just add your own essence and it spreads out like a sheet mask.
As you read this, have you seen the common thread? All new developments are aiming at easy on-the-go (freeze dried/ compressed mask), at home treatment (hand-held device, double eyelid treatment), longer lasting results (peel off products/fermented ingredients) and instant gratification (insta-bright/high dense foam).
These trends actually are screaming at one of my formulated product-Grand Central Beauty S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting mask! It’s an easy on the go , at home spa peel off mask with long lasting results and instant SMART (smooth, moisturizing, anti-aging, redness-reducing, toning) benefits! Oh, that feels pretty good to be ahead of curve :-).
Since Valentine’s Day is coming up, if you use the code Sweetheart2017, you will get a 20% off when you check out at www.grandcentralbeauty.com
The Rutgers Business School Master of Science In Business of Fashion is new program bridging the gap between creative passion and business acumen. I am honored to be teaching the special topics classes by bringing industry elites to help shaping our next generations of leaders.
If you are interested to sharing your industry experience, I’d love to talk to you for Spring 2017 (limited space), Fall 2017 and Spring 2018.
If you are interested in enrolling this master’s degree program, please reach out admissions directly at Rutgers Business School. Deadline for Spring 2017 is Jan 2, 2017.
As a cosmetic chemist, I am constantly on the look out for the latest innovation in ingredients for the pursuit of eternal beauty. What constitutes to eternal beauty- there must be some clinical evidence or folklore history that proves the efficacy.
Here are some notable ingredients that recently excited me and offered through Toyota-Tsusho America Inc. (T.A.I.) . Yes, the Toyota as the famous car maker, they have a cosmetic ingredients division along with many others such as textile, food, diagnostic division just to name a few.
Are you ready for some breakthrough in anti-aging? Read on!
- Sialic acid– Sialic acid is the key component found in Asian delicacy Bird’s nest. Asian women have been eating this delicacy (from bird’s saliva) for centuries due to its folklore belief for better health, skin brightening and improved complexion. There are bird nest extract available on the market however, it is only 1% active. The sialic acid offered through T.A.I. is obtained via biofermentation of yeast so it is a natural identical. There is clinical proof to show at 0.5% dosage, it gives skin brightening effect and at 1% dramatic wrinkle reduction is achievable. This is a WOW!
- Kahai oil– This non-greasy, super luxurious oil has proven to be better than Argan oil with 50% more vitamin E content and 3 times more vitamin A than Rosehip oil. A clinical is done to show 45% of wrinkle reduction in 4 weeks. This oil is ecocert natural and cosmos approved. You can use it on your salad if you like. I have made extreme pampering face creams and super moisturizing lip glosses with this oil. The results are simply MARVELOUS!
- Hydro Balu– Seriously the most legendary anti-aging story I have EVER heard. Most of the people know that Okinawa island in Japan is known for people living over 100 years old. However, this Hydro Balu from Colombia trumps anything and everything you have EVER heard. This giant Edamame like Colombian bean harvested in San Bernado island, not only gives people the average lifespan of over 100 years old, but after the people die, they MUMMIFIED naturally without preservation or treatment. There is a museum documented the natural mummification is due to this Balu bean for natural preservation of skin and hair. This is the ULTIMATE anti-ager one can possibly find! This is EPIC!
For more information or sample, you can contact email@example.com
What are some of your most favorite eternal beauty anti-aging ingredients?
Until next time,
Yes, I am a cosmetic chemist but I am also a makeup artist and a skin care expert. I do, still to this date dabbling around the cosmetic retail counters to keeping pulse with the consumer trends in the industry. Here are my observations and advice (more to the owners of the brand). If you do want to start your own brand, avoid these mistakes as well :-).
- Do not print your product name on a holographic background: It is bad enough to read the small print for the product names, let along the holographic or high shine silver or gold background as it is making it worse for any beauty advisors to find the stock among the hundreds of shades.
- Do not use hot-stamping on your product name especially if it is going to be placed on the bottom of the products: How many times do customers nicely bring a bottle of foundation or compact powder for replenish and the writing on the product name is GONE. The beauty advisors will have to rematch the shade.
- Do not just give a shade name without a number to it. There can be a million shade called rose but chances are the customers do not remember if it is silky rose or soft rose or romantic rose. Assign a number to it. It’s even more importantly that when you talk to the press, you show both the product name and number! Case in point- a well known brand just launched a beautiful lipstick shade Vision. However, when the customer go to buy the product, all the lipsticks go by designated number on the top of lipstick package instead of shade names!
- Do not use white caps in packaging if all possible. Yes, white denotes purity. However, some of the white caps get dirty easily even with cleaning. How many times have you seen a dirty white cap on top of a cleanser, lotion or even a sunscreen? They are dirty because chances are the beauty advisor’s hands are full of the makeup residue and got transferred to the caps. The same will apply to foundation bottles.
- Do not change packaging for the sake of restage. Cosmetic companies continue to improve packaging either for better cost or better efficiency or because a new marketing head was hired and wanted to make some changes. There are customers who only recognize the packaging when they buy. When you change the packaging, they assume the juice inside is different and they will not buy it. People are creatures of habits. If you are upgrading, upgrade everything!
- Do not run several promotions during the same period of time. It is the internet age, people do buy more on line. However, to keep your brand ambassadors- the front line to your customers, you need to be sensitive to keeping them. How many times when your favorite beauty advisor called to tell you about the Gift with Purchase promotion, and on the same time period, you are offering 20-30% discount when they buy directly on line from you? Retail is going down the hills but do not forget your beauty advisors are your brand ambassadors! You take good care of them, they take great care of your customers! On-line shopping is good when people know what they want. It’s the OLD business, OLD products you are getting. Your one-on- one beauty advisor spreads the latest new innovation and the TOUCH to your customers to generate the NEW business for you. Do not ever forget that!
Retail is detail. All the points mentioned seemed to be no big deals at a glance. However, these can certainly be the points for improvement. The more your beauty advisors appreciate you, the better your NEW business will be.
To your success!
Ginger,Beauty Industry Consultant